Ossett Pictures - Westfield Mill being demolished in 1983
Westfield Mill, Wesley Street was originally built by John Westerman in the 1850s, and was run by the Westerman family until the 1890s. Jonas Glover, born in Gildersome, Leeds in 1859 bought the mill with his partner Edwin Fearnside in 1894 after they outgrew their old premises at Canal Mill, Armley. The partnership was dissolved in 1900 and Glover continued on successfully at Westfield Mill, extending the premises as the business grew. Jonas Glover died in 1913 whilst living in Harrogate, but the business was carried on for some time by his family.
During WW2, Westfield Mill became billets for the army and the site also included a radio school for the Royal Corps of Signals. The Mill Dam was eventually filled in with rubble from the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Wesley Street, which was demolished in 1961. Later Readicut International used the premises before it was demolished in 1983.