Ossett Pictures - Walter Ashton, Wheelwright
In the time when the horse and cart was the main mode of transport, Ossett had a wheelwright and this picture is of Walter Ashton, master wheelwright and later coach builder at his workshop, located on Prospect Road. The distinctive spire of Ossett Congregational Church can be seen in the background.
Walter Ashton originated from Wakefield where he was born and where he learned his trade as an apprentice wheelwright. After marrying in 1889, he moved to Ossett and established his new business. Later, three of his five sons worked in the family business, which was expanded to become a vehicle body building shop, which was located between Bank Street and Back Lane, on the site of the former "Hillards" supermarket. The Ashtons built wagons, carts and wheelbarrows for a number of Ossett businesses, including the Co-op and Langley Brothers, mungo manufacturers.