Ossett Rugby Union football club as they were in 1939. These days the club are based at Ossett Cricket and Athletic Club at Queen's Terrace, but for many years they were based at Spring Mill, off Queen's Drive.
Ossett Rugby Union Football Club can be traced back to the 1890s when the then Ossett team won the Yorkshire Challenge Cup. They beat Hebden Bridge 13 - 3. One of the Ossett players at that time, Charles Wimpenny, the then captain, was awarded his County Cap & represented Yorkshire on six occasions.
It wasn't until 1931 that Ossett again saw success when they defeated Keighlians 6 - 0 in the final of the Yorkshire Challenge Shield. The following season saw them as beaten finalists in the same competition to the Gloucestershire Regiment.
The outbreak of World War II saw the demise of rugby. Ossett did have a brief record of activity in 1946 but it wasn't until 1979 that the Club breathed new life, thanks to some local rugby enthusiasts who reformed the town's rugby heritage.
In 1992 - 93 Ossett reached the Final of the Yorkshire Silver Trophy and in doing so became the first team to have played in all three of the Yorkshire Cup Finals. Although they were defeated by Aireborough, the team did have the distinction of being undefeated in all League fixtures that season.
Ossett currently runs two teams. The 1st XV play in the Yorkshire 4 league and the 2nd XV play in a West Yorkshire Merit League.