Ossett Pictures - Langley's Mill
Langley's Mill was located on Dale Street, next to the Horse & Jockey public house, which can just be seen on the right of this picture. The Langley brothers, John Langley and Samuel Langley ran the mungo and shoddy business at the mill at Ossett and another one in Batley until October 1869 as "J & S Langley and Son". After the partnership was dissolved, the business continued under the ownership of Samuel Langley and his son Williamson Lawton Langley, who was the company's financial director. Samuel Langley went bankrupt in 1873, presumably leaving Williamson in sole charge. John Langley died in January 1888 at his house in Church Street, Ossett. The company continued in business in Ossett until at least the late 1800s.
The mill premises were taken over in the early 1960s by Northfield Industrial Fabrications, owned by the Oddy Family, who also had a factory in Northfield Avenue, Ossett. Dumper trucks were built at Langley's Mill until closure and eventual demolition in the 1990s.