Ossett Pictures - Trinity Church Clock

Previous | Home | Next

Trinity Clock

The Trinity Church clock dates back to 1864 and was manufactured by William Potts, whom set up his own clockmaking business in 1833 in Pudsey, West Yorkshire. After an initial period of making domestic clocks of every type, the business expanded into the manufacture of turret clocks for churches and public buildings and it became necessary to move to Guildford Street in Leeds in 1862. The business expanded in jewellery and silverware as well as clocks and watches. A new turret clock factory was opened in Cookridge Street, Leeds

Until 1958, the clock was wound manually either by the verger or one of the bellringers. In 1958, the chiming and striking parts of the clock were converted to direct electrical drive, which meant that the attendant who was having to work hard winding the heavy driving weights would no longer have to do so. However, the timekeeping part of the clock remained hand wound. The main reason for this was to ensure that somebody was regularly attending to the clock, to make sure it was lookd after.

In the 1970s, the decision was taken to make the final part of the clock an automatic electric winder because it was getting difficult to find someone to wind it every week.

Picture of the internal clock mechanism by Tony Oldroyd 2011.