Ossett Pictures - Shaw Peace
Shaw Peace printing works, which was located in the old Church of England Sunday School building which was built in 1814 at the end of old Church Street (now Ventnor Way).
The inscription above the main entrance reads "Church of England Sunday School. In Commemoration of Peace. A.D. 1814" Sadly, the peace only lasted a few months and ended with Napoleon's escape from Elba followed by his defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
A brick extension was added at the front of the building, partially hiding the headstone and later the entire building was demolished. The lower half of the original headstone was displayed in the boundary wall of the Methodist Church abutting Ventnor Way, which faces the former site of the Sunday School.