Runtlings, Ossett in 1965
Thanks to Alan Clark for his permission to use this picture of Runtlings and Runtlings Mill in the background as it was back in 1965. Runtlings Mill was purpose built for shoddy production in 1907 for Arthur Townsend in red brick, with ashlar dressings and a slate roof.
There were seven bays of rag grinding sheds with an engine house, boiler house and a square sectioned chimney. The mill was powered by tandem compound horizontal steam engine christened "Rhoda" built by Marsden's Engines of Heckmondwike, which was installed on the 13th April 1908. This steam engine was rescued in 2007 when the mill was being demolished and is now located at the Markham Grange Steam Museum near Doncaster where it was fully restored.
By 1920, the mill was operating as A & W Townend Ltd. and was also processing rags for mungo production as well as shoddy. In 1928, the mill was bought by Henry Edward Briggs who also bought Queen Street Mills from the liquidators at around the same time to be used as a rag warehouse serving Runtlings Mill. The mill was finally demolished for housing circa 2005.