Ossett Pictures - New Ossett Station

Previous | Home | Next

Ossett station sketch from "Cockburn's Ossett" looking towards the road bridge on Station road. This station replacing the old Ossett station was partially opened on Sunday the 14th July 1889 at an estimated cost of £17,000. Two large gangs of men were employed throughout the day, one in connecting a new 'down' line, and the other in removing the old 'down' platform at the old station on the other side of the bridge. At 1:36pm, a train from Wakefield arrived at the new station en route for Bradford, the first of many to come. The operations of the workmen were watched during the afternoon by a crowd of spectators. Afterward, a large staff of men belonging to the permanent way department of the Great Northern Railway Company were engaged in completing the work at the new station.

The new 'up' line was completed on Sunday 21st July 1889 when the booking office was opened and the station came fully into public use. The old 'up' platform at the old station was then removed with that area being converted into a goods yard. The whole of the sidings in the goods yard were re-arranged and standing room was made for more 150 wagons than previously catered for, as well as more convenient carting spaces for unloading. New stabling was erected for horses belonging to the goods department and a new cart was provided for the collection and delivery of small parcels.

The new station's island platform was 480ft. long, with a maximum width of 31ft., with tapers to each end. It was 3ft. high, the surface being nearly level with the footboards of the trains and covered with granolithic paving or cement, with over-hanging stone copings. Trains arrived and departed on each side of the central platform. About half the length of the platform was covered in, the roof being of iron, wood and glass, supported on cast-iron columns with ornamental brackets. The buildings were arranged in three blocks; two measuring 58ft. x 11ft. each, and one 28ft. x 11ft. with passages between them. The buildings were mainly built of wood and glass with the exterior painted and the interior stained, giving a light and neat appearance. The No. 1 block comprised the station master's office, booking office, booking hall, and general waiting room. No. 2 block consisted of a ladies' waiting room, ante-room, and gentlemen's waiting room. Porter's room and conveniences composed the smaller block. The waiting-rooms were comfortably furnished, although it was felt that they were somewhat narrow, being only 10ft. wide internally. There was also a width of 10ft. of open platform on either side of the buildings.

The station was approached via a covered passage from Station Road 130ft. long and 6ft. wide, with a gradient of one in eight, but access to the Green was not made until later. The station closed in 1964 and houses were built on the site and the bridge widened.