Elder House, off Teal Street
Elder House, off Teal Street dated back to at least the late 19th century and was once the residence of Thomas Wilby Bentley, a prominent member of Ossett Borough Council in the early part of the 20th Century. He was the mayor of Ossett in the years 1909/10 and 1910/11. T.W. Bentley was also Chairman of Governors at Ossett Grammar School from 1905-1925 and the joint proprietor (with his brother Joseph William Bentley) of Hope Mill, which was located on Ossett Spa.
Elder House was probably built in the 1870s by William Bentley and his wife Elizabeth Wilby Bentley. Tragedy seems to have touched the Bentley family in the mid-1870s, because William Bentley died in 1875 aged 53 as did his infant son Percy John Bentley aged just one. In 1876, Elizabeth Bentley also died, aged 44 years, leaving Thomas Wilby Bentley as the head of the household.
In 1881, Thomas W. Bentley, 25 years old and an unemployed brewer's clerk is living at Elder House with his elder sister Annie Wilby Bentley (27), housekeeper, his younger brother, Joseph William Bentley (21), a timber merchant's clerk and youngest sister, Emily Bentley (19), a cloth inker in a woollen mill.
Bentley never married and in 1911 lived at Elder House with his sister Emily. Thomas W. Bentley died in 1926 aged 71 and his brother Joseph in 1944. The house and land were eventually sold off for housing by the Rose family and became Elder House Estate, Roundwood Road where several large detached houses now stand in place of Elder House and grounds.