The Malt Shovel at Roundwood


Malt Shovel

Roundwood Pit was built on the site of the Industrial Estate and the pit baths were located on the roadside, roughly where the garage is situated at the end of Queens Drive. This picture shows the level crossing that used to bridge the A638 Dewsbury-Wakefield road when Roundwood Pit was a working concern. The pit tubs were filled with coal and then transported on a link line to join up with the main Bradford to Wakefield LNER railway at Low Laithes.

The original "Old Malt Shovel Inn", located on Hagg's Lane, Ossett dates back to the early 1800s and was frequented by the coal miners who worked at nearby Roundwood colliery. Originally, it was a dwelling house with gardens of over one acre, stable and other outbuildings.

The new "Malt Shovel Inn" originates from 1937 after Broadway was built and, at that time, was just within the Ossett Boundary. Around 1970 the name was changed to the “Sports”, and changed again to the “Frog & Firkin” about 1985. The pub reverted to its present name late 1997 or early 1998.