Wakefield from Palesides

Wakefield from Palesides

Wakefield from Lodge Hill. Lodge Hill was once home to New Park Lodge, probably built in the 12th century and possibly rebuilt in stone in the 17th century. Some of the ruined walls, together with timber, lime and sand mortar can still be seen today. Situated on a sandstone hilltop with a commanding view over the Lord of the Manor’s New Park it would be home to the keeper and the foresters. Men like Adam le Hunte(r) and his son, John le Hunte(r) who were the new park foresters in 1305.

The sketch is a view of Wakefield from the Lodge Hill/ Paleside area of North Ossett. Just as Lodge Hill was part of the Lord of The Manor of Wakefield’s hunting park, known as New Park then so too was the area still known today as Paleside. This place name derives from the fence or pale which bordered the New Park. Its purpose was to keep the animals in and the poachers out.