Ossett Pictures - Springstone House

Previous | Home | Next


Dr. Wiseman, a highly esteemed Ossett doctor built Springstone House for his own occupation around 1850. A fine brick-lined well, 39 feet deep was provided for the new house, but it was sited only ten yards away from the stable block. Not surprisingly, there was some water pollution at a time when the bacterial pollution of water supplies and the link to disease was only just becoming known.

Springstone House stands on the corner of Springstone Avenue and Dewsbury Road and is currently used as office accommodation.