Spring Mill Yard


Spring Mill Yard

Spring Mill Yard and terrace of houses close to the dam which was a favourite haunt for children swimming in the warmer months.

Spring Mill was located where the golf course is now. There are relics of the mill and the mill dam in the area, which is now a local beauty spot. In 1848, the site of the mill, formerly the property of the late Richard Raywood was sold to Ossett clothier and farmer Mark Stephenson. In 1853, there was a fire at a workshop belonging to Mark Stephenson, Ossett manufacturer where the uninsured building with looms and a quantity of cloth was destroyed.

Over the next 50 years the Mill was operated by four owners or lessees and was seriously damaged by fire on three occasions. The main mill building consisted three storeys and an attic, containing scribbling, spinning and milling machinery. The ground floor was used for milling, the second floor for scribbling and the top floor and attic for spinning, with an engine room at one end of the building. The weaving sheds were detached from the main building.