Ossett Pictures - Park House, Ossett Grammar

Previous | Home | Next


In 1904, the old Grammar School had to move from the centre of Ossett, to make way for the construction of the new Town Hall. For a while, the school was housed in the Central Baptist schoolroom. When the Town Council took over the management of Ossett Grammar School in 1905 it was decided that the School should be a dual School with mixed-sex classes, and it was the first of its type in the West Riding.

Eventually, Ossett Corporation purchased Park House for £2,500, the value no doubt reduced because it had been used for the convalescence of victims of a smallpox epidemic. Meantime, the school continued at the Central Baptist schoolroom with 60 scholars until the end of the school year 1905-1906, whilst alterations at Park House were completed. The new school was opened by the chairman of the governors, Councillor Thomas W. Bentley on the 24th September 1906 and 95 pupils and 7 staff moved to the new school.

Park House, set in three acres of land was built in the late 1860s for the Ellis family, the owners of the adjacent Victoria Mills (Burmatex). The Ellis brothers made their fortune by selling cloth for uniforms to both sides during the Franco-Prussian war (1870-1871). There was a major slump in the cloth weaving trade in 1880 caused by tariffs on British goods by Continental countries. Many Ossett mill owners were unable to adapt and the Ellis family had to put the house up for sale.