Ossett Pictures - Mechanics Institute

Previous | Home | Next


Opened in 1890 and built to a design by W.A. Kendall, the Mechanics Institute was a Technical School, which accommodated 119 pupils and 18 staff. The Borough of Ossett took over the school in 1898 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The Technical School accommodation included a dyeing room, lecture room and classroom in the basement, physics room, lecture room, offices, etc., and library on the ground floor, while upstairs was the chemical laboratory, a studio for the art students, modelling and lecture rooms.

The Public Library in Ossett was temporarily located in a building down Dale Street, but by 1927 was sharing space in the Technical School. In 1935, the former Mechanic's Institute was refitted as a modern library on the open access system. In 1972, building was completely modernised and since then has undergone another facelift.