Ossett Pictures - Isolation Hospital, Storrs Hill

Previous | Home | Next

Isolation Hospital, Storrs Hill

A sketch from "Cockburns Ossett" of the old Isolation Hospital at the top of Storrs Hill built in the February 1882 to house smallpox victims. The 80ft x 38ft building was made from iron with a wooden roof and was bought second-hand from the manufacturers in London for £315, who had also to erect the building as part of the deal. Eventually, the old hospital was demolished and burned in May 1896 after being damaged in a storm. A larger, brick-built isolation hospital, was built in 1895 in a two acre plot adjoining the old hospital, despite objections from local residents who feared that their property would be devalued as a result.