Ossett Pictures - Cussons Chemists

Previous | Home | Next


Another picture from "Cockburn's Ossett" showing Cussons chemist shop on the corner of Prospect Road and Station Road. Built in 1893, it was a Post Office as well as a chemist's shop.

J. W. Cussons left Ossett and set up a soap manufacturing company. In the early 1900s, Cussons bought Bayleys of Bond Street, a high quality court perfumier who had created a new perfume in 1768 called 'Eau de Cologne Imperiale Russe' for a Russian nobleman, Count Orlof. Cussons chose this perfume to form the basis for a new soap, originally called 'Imperiale Russian Leather' but now known as "Imperial Leather."

Later on, the building became the Ossett branch of the Yorkshire Penny Bank and later the Yorkshire Bank.