Poppy Logo

George Bradley

George BradleyCorporal George Bradley, MM, 94079, Royal Engineers

George William Bradley was born in Ossett on the 23rd October 1884 and baptised exactly a week later at South Ossett Christ Church. He was the younger surviving child, and only son of Ossett rag grinder, William Bradley and his wife, Elizabeth (nee Swift). The couple, who married in early 1879, had five children from their marriage but sadly three children had died before April 1911.

In 1901 the Bradley family lived at Hilda Street, off Station Road, Ossett and George had begun work as a joiner’s apprentice. In 1911 he was living with his parents at Station Road and working as a joiner. George’s sister, Annie, aged 25 , had married Ossett blacksmith, Wilfred Johnson, at South Ossett Christ Church on the 6th July 1907 and was living at Fairfield Terrace, Station Road, Ossett. George Bradley was a witness at his sister’s wedding.

George William Bradley’s army service record has not survived, but a medal card for Lance-Corporal George W. Bradley, Royal Engineers, service number 94079, records the award of the British and Victory medals, but not the 1914/15 Star, indicating that he did not serve overseas before the 31st December 1915. In common with many, his medal card does not record the award of the Military Medal.

It is uncertain where George William Bradley lived after his demobilisation and there is no record of an Ossett marriage. His father, William, of Rose Cottage, Station Road/Manor Road, Ossett, died in 1925 aged 74 and is buried at South Ossett Christ Church Burial Ground. Probate of his estate was granted in June 1925 to his widow, Elizabeth and his son George William Bradley, joiner and builder.

"Military Medal For Former Ossett Joiner - Corporal G. Bradley, Royal Engineers, whose parents live in Station-road, Ossett, has been awarded the Military Medal. It appears that the action which led to his gaining the distinction was establishing a bridge-head over a river under very great difficulties on October 23rd last. Before joining the army in 1915, Corporal Bradley was in the employ of Messrs. W. and E. Whitehead, joiners." 1

References:

1. "Ossett Observer"